The Governor, Senate and Assembly have now all released their proposed budgets and they will negotiate a final budget based on those documents over the next two weeks. A quick summary:
• Governor Cuomo’s Executive Budget included $81.6M in library aid, (a $4M cut from FY13-14);
• The NYS Assembly’s budget included $83.6M in library aid, restoring half of the Governor’s cut (+$2M over Executive Proposal). This is largest proposed increase in library aid the Assembly has allocated in several years. It is important to view this action as our issue gaining traction and putting us in a better position to negotiate.
• The NYS Senate’s budget included $89.6M in library aid, (+$8M over Executive Proposal). This is our top-line number, and we must do everything we can to make sure it is non-negotiable during the final budget formulation process.
Thus far this been a very successful budget season for libraries, despite the Governor’s proposed cut in aid. The legislature has to fight for every single dollar it gets out of the budget from the Governor during negotiations. The final two weeks of the budget process are the most critical to make your voice heard; let your Senator know that you support their efforts and ensure that our top-line number does not get negotiated down.
TAKE ACTION NOW
Click HERE to access a pre-drafted letter that will be targeted directly to the members of the Senate that need to hear the message most.
In addition to our CapWiz campaign, if you’re on Twitter, you may tweet directly @SenatorSkelos and @JeffKleinNY and ask them to support library aid with this language:
@SenatorSkelos make the proposed $8M in library aid non-negotiable during final talks with the Governor and Assembly #NYBudget14
@JeffKleinNY make the proposed $8M in library aid non-negotiable during final talks with the Governor and Assembly #NYBudget14
Together we can ensure that Library Aid continues to make positive advances toward funding at levels that match the 21st Century services that libraries provide.
New York Library Association
6021 State Farm Road
Guilderland, NY 12084
518-432-6952 Ext. 101
- Tax cut clash looms as New York begins budget negotiations (news.yahoo.com)
- Tax cut clash looms as New York begins budget negotiations (reuters.com)
- Senate Dems send budget wishlist to Klein, Skelos (timesunion.com)