Please contact us if you’re interested in joining the Programming Committee or simply have an idea for an event.
Please join the New York Library Club for our Spring Event at Albertine.
Monday April 29, 2019, 5:30 PM-7:00 PM
Albertine, 972 5th Ave, (bet. East 78th and 79th Streets) New York, NY 10075
A guided tour (free) of the two-floor Albertine with an opportunity to browse the shop. The event will be followed by an informal gathering at a nearby café (at cost).
Albertine is part of the Cultural Services of the French Embassy and is located inside the historic landmarked Payne Whitney mansion designed by Stanford White. As indicated on their website, it is “the only bookshop in New York devoted solely to books in French and English with more than 14,000 contemporary and classic titles from 30 French-speaking countries.” The store regularly hosts authors, debates and discussions open to the public at no charge. Since 2017 the Cultural Services has awarded the Albertine Prize for American readers’ favorite work of contemporary Francophone fiction that has been translated into English.
We will be greeted by the Assistant Director who will explain the history, design and decor of the shop and answer any questions.
None for the tour. Please RSVP no later than April 26th by replying to this email or at the following link:
All are welcome. Please distribute this invitation widely.
- Annual Holiday Dinner and Scholarship Award at Le Midi NYC
- Fall Social at Pratt Manhattan
- Annual Business Meeting at Instituto Cervantes, New York
- Spring Event at the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum Library
- Winter Event at the Anthology Film Archive
- Annual Business Meeting at the Goethe Institut Library
- Annual Spring Event at the United Nations Dag Hammarskjöld Library
- Annual Holiday Dinner and Scholarship Award at Forlini’s Restaurant – Monday December 5, 2016
- Annual Business Meeting at the The Yale Club of New York City
– Monday, June 13, 2016
- Annual Holiday Dinner and Scholarship Award at the Charlie Palmer at the Knick – Tuesday, December 1, 2015
- Annual Business Meeting at the French Institute Alliance Française – Tour of the Haskell Library – Monday June 22, 2015 – Please see our Blog for details.
- Spring Event at the Center for Jewish History – Tour of the newly renovated Berg Rare Book Room, main library, Genealogy Institute, and Digital Lab – Monday April 27, 2015
- Annual Holiday Dinner and Scholarship Award at the Algonquin Hotel – Monday, December 1, 2014
- Fall Event Thursday October 23, 2014 – Tour of the Boo-Hooray Gallery and Archive
- Opening event Thursday, September 12, 2013-Tour of the National Museum of the American Indian followed by a reception at the Fraunces Tavern
- Fall event Tuesday, October 22, 2013-Tour of the Strand Bookstore followed by a break-out event at Cosi Restaurant.
- Holiday event, Thursday, November 21, 2013 – Il Riccio Restaurant
- Spring event Tuesday, April 8, 2014 – Tour of the Fashion Institute of Technology and Gladys Marcus Library.
- Fall reception, September 13, 2012 – Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- Annual Business Meeting, June 18, 2013 – Information Commons Guttman Community College or CUNY
- Fall reception, September 2011 – The Metropolitan Museum of Art Thomas J. Watson Library
- Annual Business Meeting, June 22, 2011-New York Society Library
- Opening Reception, September 17, 2009 – The Metropolitan Museum of Art Thomas J. Watson Library
- Fall event, November 17, 2009 – Ellis Island Archives
- Holiday event, December 2, 2009 – Les Sans Culottes
- Annual Business Meeting 2009 – Poet’s House
- Annual Business Meeting, June 2009 – New York Public Library’s new Grand Central Branch
- April 2009 – The Grolier Club,Vivat Rex! (Long Live the King!—Henry VIII, that is)
- March 2009 – Paley Center for Media
- November 2008 – Brooklyn Historical Society
- Fall Reception, September 2008 – NYPL’s Library for the Performing Arts, Lincoln Center
- Spring Event, April 2008 – French Culinary Institute Library
- Mid-Winter Meeting, February 2008 – The Foundation Center Library
- Foundation Center Data, Where It Comes From, How It Is Disseminated
- David Jacobs, Senior Editor
- Rebecca MacLean, Director of Grants Processing
- Holiday Social, November 2007 – The New York Historical Society Library
- Fall Reception, September 2007 – New York Public Library, Science, Business & Industry Library
- Business Meeting, May 2007 – New York Public Library, Seward Park Branch
- Spring Event, April 2007 – New York County Lawyers’ Association Library
- President Lincoln and Chief Justice Taney
- Professor James Simon, New York Law School
- Holiday Social, December 2006 – Rubin Museum of Art
- Dragons of the Desert, Dinosaur Findings in the Gobi
- Dr. Mark Norell, American Museum of Natural History
- Fall Reception, September 2006 – Trinity Church Archives
- Getting Control of Your Anger
- Dr. Robert Allan, Weil Medical College of Cornell University
- Business Meeting, May 2006 – Joan B. and William G. Spears Center for Pastoral Research Library at the HealthCare Chaplaincy
- Spring Event, March 2006 – Williams Club
- Putting Women on the Map, Participants in the Early Modern Map Trade
- Alice Hudson, Lionel Pincus & Princess Firyal Map Division, New York Public Library
- Holiday Social, December 2005 – The Accompanied Library at the National Arts Club
- Books on Ice, the British and American Literature of Polar Exploration
- Drs. David and Dierdre Stam
- Fall Reception, September 2005 – Poets House Library